To have membership in an organization means to belong, to fit in, and to have a place where you are always welcome.
Here at Club Nova, a person who has struggled with mental illness is seen as a valued participant, a colleague, and someone who has something to contribute. Our members know they always have somewhere to turn for help.
We Share a Philosophy of Membership
- Everyone needs to feel connected to a community, thus the notion of membership is important.
- Everyone needs to know that they are expected someplace on a daily basis.
- Everyone needs to feel needed; that their presence is important to others.
- Everyone needs to believe there is at least one place on the planet where they are truly wanted.
Club Nova Can Help Members:
- Build confidence
- Cultivate meaningful and supportive relationships to reduce isolation
- Experience a sense of purpose from being productive
- Develop work skills
- Complete educational goals
- Return to productive employment in the community
- Obtain affordable housing
Other Important Benefits:
Transportation to and from the Clubhouse
13 affordable, healthy meals per week
Twice a week organized social activities
A place to go on all holidays
Individualized support to members navigating healthcare, housing and legal issues
- Must have a major mental illness such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, schizoaffective disorder, or major depression.
- Cannot have a principal and/or primary diagnosis of a developmental disability, dementia, a substance abuse disorder, or a personality disorder.
- Must be at least 18 years of age and want to attend Club Nova, as membership is voluntary.
- Must not pose a current risk to the Clubhouse Community.
- Should live in Chapel Hill NC, Carrboro NC, and the surrounding communities in North Carolina.
If you meet the criteria and are interested in becoming a member:
- Call Peter Mazzei of the Membership Unit at (919) 968-6682 ext. 111 to schedule an informal tour.
- Get a referral packet completed by a medical professional/social worker.
- Drop the completed form at the Clubhouse or fax to: (919) 551-7423 (Attn: Membership)
After the referral form is reviewed, you will be contacted by phone by the Membership Unit to arrange a formal orientation.
Peter Mazzei of the Membership Unit can answer any questions you may have regarding membership criteria, our services or the referral process. You can reach him or the Membership Unit at (919) 968-6682, ext. 111 or email him at email@example.com.